Terms & Conditions
Mason Recreation memberships, including student memberships, are bound to the following general terms and conditions of facility use. Because there are slight variations in facility use rules for the Aquatic & Fitness Center (AFC), Skyline Fitness Center, and the Recreation & Athletic Complex (RAC), patrons are required to observe posted rules within each facility.
- Mason Recreation memberships, with active status, permit the patron to access Mason Recreation’s facilities (AFC, RAC, and Skyline Fitness Center) during their normal business hours. All Mason Recreation facilities adhere to the emergency management policies, procedures and guidelines of the Environment Health & Safety Department including training exercises, planning, and outreach activities which patrons must comply with.
- With the exception of the Masters Swimming memberships, Mason Recreation memberships are not designed for exclusive use of any single resource or piece of equipment within any of the facilities. In the event that a resource is temporarily unavailable (e.g. swimming pool closure, basketball court closure, or racquetball court closure, etc.), refunds, credits, or extensions will not be given.
- Mason Recreation reserves the right to terminate a membership, with or without refund, in the event that a patron violates any of the posted policies in the Mason Recreation facilities and/or on the website.
- All patrons must present their Mason ID or Rec Membership ID to check in at any of the facilities. Two (2) entrances per semester are allowed when no ID card is present. Mason Recreation reserves the right to terminate a membership, with or without refund, in the event that a patron attempts to fraudulently access Mason Recreation’s facilities, or aids in the fraudulent access of another individual. Students displaying the above behavior may be suspended from accessing any or all of Mason Recreation’s facilities for any length of time.
- In order for additional individuals to be registered under an account, the main contact must have valid access for the additional patron to receive the same price eligibility. Account holders with dependents who are minors must observe facility rules concerning age restricted areas. Mason Recreation reserves the right to refuse or revoke membership/access privileges to any account holder, sponsored guest, or visitor in the event that facility rules are violated.
Photo and Filming Policy
At Mason Recreation, we work diligently to ensure that the privacy and rights of all students, members, and guests who enter our facilities are respected at all times. As such, we expect all of our patrons to adhere to the following photo/ video use guidelines while using any of the Mason Recreation facilities or fields.
- To request access to take photo or video in the Mason Recreation facilities, please click here.
Photography and Filming Policy
- The Mason Recreation facilities and fields are private spaces, therefore, photography and videography is strictly prohibited. Requests to film or photograph within these areas must be completed online at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Filming or photography for class projects, group practices, newspapers, articles, and all other media must abide by this policy.
- All photography/videotaping must be done using care for patrons and personal privacy must be respected. If patrons can be identified in any shot, their explicit permission must be obtained. Participants have a right to decline being in any shot.
- Patrons may not use any Mason Recreation facilities for any photography or videography of a promotional nature that benefits an individual, business, or company, unless explicit permission has been granted by the Assistant Director of Marketing.
- This includes “selfies”, photo shoots, workout videos, or other media that may be posted to an individual, or company’s, social media accounts, websites, or other promotional material.
- Photography/videotaping may not be conducted in any facility locker rooms or restrooms.
“Selfie” & Personal Device Policy
- Patrons’ cell phones may be used to take photos or videos of themselves or friends working out within the facility and must remain for personal use only.
- Photography of other patrons without their explicit permission is strictly prohibited. (This includes those shown in backgrounds of ‘Snaps’, photos, etc.)
- Patrons taking photos or videos with their cell phone for personal use must not interrupt or cause any discomfort/nuisance to others.
- In the event that Mason Recreation staff suspect a guest is abusing the cell phone privilege, they will be asked to put their phone away or leave the Mason Recreation facility/ field if they continue to violate the policy.
- Repeated and/ or severe abuse of this policy may result in a suspension from the Mason Recreation facilities/ fields, or cause the termination of your Mason Recreation Membership without a refund.
- All requests for media interviews and photography/videos of Mason Recreation programs, the Mason Recreation facilities, and/or participants for commercial or academic media must be made in advance. This may be done via online form here.
Cancellations & Refunds
- Annual and monthly memberships may be cancelled at any time during the membership term.
- Memberships cancelled within one year of purchase will be assessed a $25 cancellation fee.
- Monthly memberships will not receive a refund if there is less than 31 days remaining in the membership term.
- Refunds will be based on a pro-rated basis, calculated on a cost per day basis.
- Pro-rated refunds are calculated beginning from the date that the cancellation request is received by Member Services. The parking pass has been returned within 5 days of the request.
- Parking permit purchases are non-refundable.
- For specific program cancellations/refunds, consult with their respective policies.
- Membership fees paid with VISA or MasterCard will be refunded to the type of card used for original payment.
- Membership fees paid with cash or check will be refunded by way of a George Mason University check. Delivery time for GMU issued checks may take up to 30 days.
- Cancellation requests may be submitted by phone/voicemail at 703.993.5891 or via e-mail to Member Services.
Payroll Deduction Policies
- Payroll deduction memberships may be cancelled at any time within the membership term.
- A $25 cancellation fee will be assessed for all cancellations within the initial membership term.
- Requests to cancel payroll deduction memberships should be made by e-mail to Member Services.
- Deduction stop orders are sent from Member Services to the GMU Department of Human Resources & Payroll on the next available semimonthly time sheet submission date after the request is received.
Guest Pass Policies
Beginning May 16th, 2018 we will no longer be offering complimentary parking passes with our $12 Daily guest passes. Patrons will need to use the parking decks closest to our buildings as follows: For RAC visits, use the Mason Pond Parking deck. For AFC visits, use the Shenandoah Parking Deck. For information on Mason’s Parking deck prices, click here.
- Individuals who purchase a standard daily entrance fee are required to provide a valid driver’s license at the time of purchase. Mason Recreation reserves the right to record the individual’s full name, gender and address. Mason Recreation may also request a current phone number and e-mail in order to complete the sale of a daily entrance pass at a $12.00 rate.
- Individuals who are sponsored by a current student, faculty/staff member, or other Mason Recreation member may refuse the collection of this information, provided that the sponsor’s information is accounted for in the database at a $8.00 rate. Members are limited to three (3) individual guests at the sponsored guest rate, per day. All sponsored guests must be accompanied by the member of Mason Rec.
- Both sponsored and non-sponsored guests must sign a liability waiver prior to using any of the fitness facilities.
- Daily entrance fees are fully refundable up to 15 minutes after the time of purchase. After this time period, a pro-rated refund may be given at the discretion of the Membership Services staff.
- Patrons interested in Daily Entrance Pass refunds after the 15 minute limit should contact Member Services.
- Patrons are encouraged to retain any receipts from the original transaction and all refund requests must be made within 30 days of the original transaction.
Parking Permit Policies
- Parking permits issued by Mason Recreation are governed by the rules and regulations set forth by GMU Parking Services. All parking permit recipients are strongly encouraged to consult the rules and regulations printed on the back of the permit itself as well as the GMU Parking Services website.
- Permit recipients should appeal any parking citations directly with GMU Parking Services. Mason Recreation does not handle parking citations in any capacity.
- Mason Recreation will require vehicle information such as make, model, color, and license plate number prior to issuing a parking permit.
- Any lost/stolen parking pass will incur a $15 re-registration fee.
- Mason Recreation is authorized to issue parking permits for the Fairfax campus General Lots in conjunction with certain memberships.
- GMU students and faculty/staff are not eligible to purchase parking passes from Mason Recreation.
Acceptable Proof of Address Documents
- Driver’s license, learner’s permit or DMV-issued photo ID cards displaying the applicant’s current address
- Payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last two months
- Voter registration card
- Certified copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by a school accredited by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory (report cards are not accepted)
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, or residential rental/ lease agreement
- S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form or 1099 form (not more than 18 months old)
- S. or Virginia income tax return from the previous year.
- Original monthly bank statement not more than two months old issued by a bank
- Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to the applicant (examples include gas, electric, sewer, water, cable or phone bill). Cellular phone and pager bills are not accepted.
- Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
- Current automobile, life insurance, or student loan bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
- Driver’s license, learner’s permit or DMV-issued photo ID cards displaying the applicant’s current address
- Current homeowners insurance policy or bill
Freezes & Suspensions
- Annual memberships may be frozen/suspended 2 times during the membership term for time periods not to exceed 1 year, collectively.
- Monthly memberships may be frozen/suspended 2 times during the membership term for no less than 30 days.
- Suspension requests are to be sent via e-mail to Member Services prior to the desired start date of the suspension.
- Suspension of a membership coinciding with a parking pass, will not start until the parking pass has been returned to Member Services.
- A new parking pass can be picked up upon the reactivation of the member’s access, only if the previous parking pass is returned.
- Please allow 2-3 business days processing time once all conditions of the suspension have been met.