Ann Moran – Her Exercise Success

Posted: December 18, 2014 at 8:37 am, Last Updated: December 11, 2014 at 1:44 pm

by Jennifer Lehman, MS RYT

Ann Moran has walked consistently for many years. She gets up early every morning to walk her dog Sonny around the Mason campus. Rain or snow, Ann walks the 1.7 mile circle for 30 – 40 minutes to keep herself and Sonny in shape. But several years ago she noticed that even though she was walking, she wasn’t losing weight. Ann found AARP’s book, New American Diet, and began to craft a plan.

In January 2013, Ann made a new year’s resolution to control her diet in addition to her walks with Sonny. By October of that year, she had lost 38lbs going from 188 to 150! That inspired her to begin to consistently use the RAC and the AFC for additional cardio conditioning and calorie burning. October 2014 was her one year anniversary of exercising EVERY DAY for 45 – 60 minutes in one of those locations!

During the Fall of 2014, Ann saw the promotion for “Design Me a Workout” and started working with Olivia, one of the RAC trainers, to put together a strength training program for her and in only a short time, exercising three days per week, she’s seen visible results.

What does Ann attribute her success to? She says, “You have to make it a lifestyle change.” She tells friends and family alike, “You just have to do it! A lot of people have asked me what I have done. When I tell them what I have done and how long it took and what I am continuing to do. I hear “oh that’s a lot of work” and “maybe someday”. I really believe you have to want to do it. You can’t be successful if you don’t have the right frame of mind. Every now and then it’s ok to eat something you wouldn’t normally eat, but then you have to go back to paying attention. ”

Ann Moran Article v2 Ann Moran Article
On a recent department outing to the EDGE on the PW Campus, Ann was one of several staff members who made it to the top of the Tower! And in May, Ann reached her goal of 135lbs – only 10lbs more than when she was married! More good news is her 10 year old lab Sonny is a slim 85lbs and his vet says he’s in great shape!