Diary of a Fit Patriot: Boot Camp

Posted: March 29, 2016 at 11:26 am, Last Updated: March 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

By Alison M. Hall

Boot Camp is one 24529460280_4444466912_kof Mason Recreation’s most popular classes. We have been offering it at 6:15 am for the past few years, and new this semester we are offering it at 2:30 and 5:30 pm. Boot Camp is for everyone! No matter your fitness level, the instructor will show you how to make each exercise appropriate for you. Several of our boot camp instructors offer descriptions of their classes:

Noki: Come join me at 6:15am for a fitness Boot Camp! It’s a combination of HIIT, strength training, and kickboxing! The music will pump you up and the energy is contagious! All skill levels are welcome–get ready for a great workout!

Jennifer: For my Boot Camp class I LOVE to do Circuits, it’s kind of my big thing that makes my classes ME. We team up in groups and complete different circuits around the room. Each station is a different challenging activity focusing on different muscle groups. The stations really get you out of your comfort zone and push you. Some of the stations are totally different from what you would usually do in a regular fitness class. We use things such as the battle ropes, weighted bars, and I’ll even bring in some scooters from time to time for ab exercises. My favorite thing about teaching my 6:15 am Boot Camp in particular is the community feel. You become a part of a dedicated group of people striving to improve themselves and start to feel a part of something bigger than yourself. You will be challenged, encouraged, and connected as we do fun plank races, sprints and other creative workout challenges together. It’s hard to get up that early at first, but once you do, you will feel amazing and there will be no looking back. If you are looking to really challenge yourself, I think our Boot Camp classes are the best place to be.

Jen S.: What better way to start the week than with a high intensity interval training class! Monday’s Boot Camp consists of 30 second to 1 minute drills that focus on agility, cardio enduranc,e and strength training. The constant change in movement challenges the body and mind and keeps class interesting as the drills are continuously changing.

Check Mason Recreation’s Boot Camp schedule online, and we’ll see you in class!