Tips To Make Going To The Gym A Habit

Posted: March 30, 2017 at 4:19 pm

You’ve been trying to go to the gym every day of the week for months now. You are going strong for 4 days, but then you don’t make it to the gym for the next week. Not as pathetic as you think. Believe it or not, going to the gym regularly is often a goal for most people. Having the gym be a part of everyday life can be challenging, since making changes to normal behavior is not an easy task. Any type of lifestyle change (eating habits, smoking, shopping habits etc.) is hard, and even that much harder as a college student.

I personally have struggled with making the gym a part of my daily routine. My schedule is extremely hectic these days, as I am dealing with a constant state of tiredness due to my commitments. Wanting to be social with my peers also can get in the way of going to the gym. It’s not easy, but I am trying to make the gym a part of my daily life, like doing my homework or making my bed, simply something I HAVE to do.

Sometimes we are so off-put within our own fitness routines that we simply don’t know how to get back on track. I understand how hard it is to regularize going to the gym, so I have compiled a list of tips to help make going to the gym a habit.

1. Make a Schedule

For me, creating a schedule is probably the most valuable tip on the list. Making a schedule of your life and time available to go to the gym allows you to have designated times for going to the gym and keeps you on track. Think of the schedule as a daily to do list. Putting a workout on your to-do list helps you stay focused and motivated to get it done.

2. Start off Easy

With any major lifestyle change, I think starting off easy is key to staying motivated while getting used to your new schedule. You don’t want to tire yourself out before being able to create a habit of going to the gym. You try to start off by going two or three times a week, and increase as you see fit. I would suggest that you don’t try to quickly move into a lifestyle you are not used to. Any change takes time. Be patient with yourself!

3. Find a Workout Partner

Finding a workout partner may be the motivation you need in order to stick to your gym routine. Having someone there that expects you to push yourself and will motivate you to keep going can help you make that lifestyle change. Having a workout partner is not for everyone (personally, not my thing), but it can definitely be beneficial to those who need that extra push!

4. Buy Nice Workout Clothes

I know this is something that definitely helped me! I love buying clothes, so buying fashionable workout gear helps motivate me to go, because I want to wear the clothes I have purchased. This tip also is not for everyone, but if that helps, go out and treat yourself!

5. Add Classes Into Your Workout

I think a common reason as to why people may not be satisfied with their current workout is because they become bored with their own fitness schedules. I get bored very easily, and if something is not stimulating to me, I am more than likely not going to continue with it. If you find yourself with an underwhelming workout routine, try to attend some workout classes. Maybe go with friends and see if that helps make going to the gym more interesting.

6.) Focus On Going To The Gym First, Goals Second

Something that I have personally struggled with is lack of results discouraging me from going to the gym. The “I have not seen change, so why go?” mentality is dangerous and can prevent you from going to the gym long enough to even see results. In order to combat this, I try to be realistic with my goals, whether they are mental or physical, but more importantly, I tell myself “just go!” Actually making it to the gym is an accomplishment in itself.

By: Destany Martin