Lifeguard Instructor Certification
Register Online Here – Register online at https://connect.recreation.gmu.edu/. Minors must be registered by an adult. Adults should login to or create their own account and then register the minor using the “add a family member” option on the registration page.
Instructions on how to register can be found here
Lifeguard Instructor Course Description
The purpose of the instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Blended Learning, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Waterpark Skills*, Waterfront Skills*, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Administering Emergency Oxygen, and Blood Borne Pathogens Training courses and /or modules.
* To teach Waterfront Skills and Waterpark Skills, Lifeguard Instructors must possess a basic-level Waterfront Skills or Waterpark Skills certificate and orient to the corresponding content in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual and Lifeguarding DVD Set or course presentation.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
To be eligible for the instructor course, instructor candidates must:
- Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess one of the following:
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- An equivalent certification from another organization.
- Successfully complete the Online Session for the Lifeguard Instructor course, which consists of the following:
- Orientation to the American Red Cross
- Orientation to the Lifeguard Instructor Course and Precourse Exam
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session (refer to the Lifeguard Training page for precourse swim requirement)
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual (provided) and Lifeguarding Manual (not provided) after you have successfully completed the Precourse Session.
Course Dates and Times
Dates are not available at this time
Please review the refund policy on the registration form. Also, be aware of the nature of the online component, once the online component is registered with the American Red Cross no refunds will be granted except for medical withdrawal or military deployment/relocation (documentation required).