The EDGE Challenge Course
Explore employment opportunities with The EDGE team! We have two ways to Apply:
Challenge Course Facilitators
The EDGE, Mason Recreation’s Team Building and Experiential Learning program, is hiring Challenge Course Facilitators for the 2021 fall season and beyond. We operate at Mason’s Science and Technology campus in Manassas, Virginia.
About the EDGE: We are a team-building and leadership development challenge course. We serve the Mason and greater Washington, DC, metropolitan communities. We serve local elementary, middle, and high schools; Mason and other area college students; and professional organizations in the private, non-profit, and public sectors. We operate on 30 acres of the SciTech campus with 4 major aerial elements and 30 ground-based course elements. For more information, please visit Edge.gmu.edu/.
- Ability to attend all training sessions (August 9-13 and 16-19).
- Ability to work a minimum of two days per week (Sunday through Saturday) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or higher or ability to be certified within 30 days of start date.
- This position is subject to a criminal background investigation. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of this process.
- Experience leading experiential education programs, including ropes/challenge courses, team building, ground initiatives, and games.
- Adults pursuing a college degree or graduates in education-related fields, including outdoor education, recreation, education, psychology, or social welfare.
- Team education: Effectively facilitate and process with group to inspire learning.
- Safety instruction: Properly set up and explain challenges in a way that fosters cooperation, positive reflection, and growth.
- Group and risk management: Provide for physical and emotional well-being of participants, be aware of risks associated with challenge courses, fit and check equipment to guarantee proper use, be ready to respond in an emergency situation, and be aware of and adjust to group or individual needs.
- Course setup, maintenance and inspection: Inspect and set up high and low elements for daily use and occasionally assist with maintaining elements, equipment, and trails.
How to Apply:
- Those hired for the position in the fall work from the August 9 training start date until mid-November, with on-call winter work available thereafter until The EDGE grows busier in March.
- The position pays $12 per hour with potential for advancement depending on skills and experience.
- Challenge course practitioners with ACCT certifications may start at a higher rate.
- To apply, please visit the position on Handshake or jobs.gmu.edu.
- The position closes August 1.
For more information, contact:
David Heath | Assistant Director of The EDGE