Group Fitness Descriptions
- Aqua Aerobics: Increase strength and muscle tone, build endurance, improve cardiovascular conditioning, and relieve stress in shallow water. All equipment provided for this 60-minute class.
- Barre: This muscular endurance class combines ballet-inspired moves with elements of Pilates, balance and focus through yoga, and strength training. Our barre classes incorporate a portable ballet barre, light dumbbells, a yoga mat, and bender balls. Your instructor will focus on high repetition of small range movements alternating with larger range athletic movements to allow the muscles to recover.
- Boot Camp: A cross training class that mixes traditional body weight exercises with high intensity cardio intervals and strength training. Each class is designed to push you to work your hardest no matter what your fitness level!
- Cardio Dance: A fun, flowing dance class set to musical rhythms and choreographed dance moves followed by an abdominal section to finish. Come dance your stress away to hip hop, Latin, Bollywood and other music with Linda!
- Cycling: A group exercise class performed on stationary bikes while an instructor simulates hill climbing, sprints, and races. It is truly a fantastic cardiovascular workout. The instructor, the people around you and the music will keep you motivated. Please bring water and a towel.
- Flow MotionFITT: challenge your fitness boundaries and learn to “embrace the wobble”. This class is uniquely designed to keep you shredding from the moment you hit the water to the end of class with cardio conditioning and toning workouts that improve balance, build core strength and improve flexibility and mobility. Swimming drills will be introduced for an incredible TOTAL BODY workout! Participants must be comfortable swimming in deep water (25-50 meters without stopping) and expect to get wet. Comfort in deep water is REQUIRED. Must be comfortable swimming 50 m or 2 laps in deep water without feet touching the bottom and without stopping. You must register for this class ahead of time. Click Here to learn more about class and for our registration link.
- Flow MotionFITT Core: Transform your core, arms, legs and glutes with conditioning and mobility workouts on Flow Motion fitness mats. Participants can expect to work core stabilizers that are often unused and learn to embrace “the wobble”. Increase core strength and improve balance and mobility — all at the same time for an amazing TOTAL BODY workout. Additional mobility and plyometric components will be added to the workout along with additional fitness equipment such as: resistance bands and floating weighted medicine balls. This class is held in the REC pool in warm shallow water. Perfect for All levels especially beginners or anyone new to swimming.
- HardCORE: 25-minutes of core training that will increase core strength, improve posture, and tighten and tone your midsection.
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): HIIT is a 30 minute full-body workout that alternates bouts of cardio and strength with flashes of brief recovery to obliterate calories. You’ll burn fat, build muscle, and boost your metabolism all in just a half an hour!
- Killer Kettlebells: A blend of kettlebells and body weight exercises for the perfect combination of strength and power. This class is a great way to get your cardio and strength workout in one hour!
- Kickboxing: The class format integrates combinations of punches, kicks, & calisthenics. Additional exercises are incorporated to strengthen and tone. You will have fun, reduce stress, & get an awesome workout.
- Meditation: Experience mindfulness in this grounding practice by which a person achieves a greater sense of awareness, wisdom, introspection, and a deeper sense of relaxation. Perfect for anyone looking to de-stress, reduce anxiety, enhance self-awareness, and improve their emotional health.
- Pink Gloves Boxing: PGB is a small group training program that empowers women, fosters relationships, and is perfect for participants of all ages and fitness levels. It is structured similar to Martial Arts – where participants advance to a higher level each semester – learning new skills, earning new gear and more!
- POUND®: Channel your inner rockstar with this full body cardio-jam session inspired by the infectious, energizing, and sweat-dripping fun of playing the drums!
- Power Dance: A cardio-intensive class set to high-energy music. The hottest dance moves and our fitness equipment combine to teach you confidence, coordination and strength.
- Strictly Strength: This class is for anyone who wants to develop muscular strength and endurance. We’ll tackle basic resistance training exercises using strategic principles. This easy-to-follow workout challenges every major muscle group. Plus, we have all the fun equipment like dumbbells, bands, bars, balls, and kettlebells!
- Yoga Sculpt: Incorporates yoga postures, hand weights, and high-intensity cardio bursts for a maximum calorie-burning effect. There are even cardio exercises to get your heart pumping and your blood flowing. And of course, there’s always a challenging core workout mixed in!
- Zumba®: Come prepared to dance and sweat yourself into shape with this Latin influenced workout!
Mind & Body Descriptions
- Cardio Yoga: A sweat drenching moving meditation that connects movement, mind, and the emotions.
- Gentle Yoga: Designed to increase flexibility, strengthen the body, relieve stress and calm the mind. This slow moving Yoga class synchronizes movement with breath for the perfect mind and body connection. Great for beginners and anyone wanting to restore their internal balance.
- Hatha Yoga: Participants concentrate on Yoga poses, breathing practices, relaxation and meditation. The use of the breath is focused on to assist the flow into, through and out of poses. This class is designed to help with balance, stretching, strengthening and mind-body awareness.
- Pilates: Our Pilates classes are designed to stretch and strengthen the body, primarily the muscles of the core. Participants will burn fat, increase flexibility and improve posture. All levels welcome!
- Restorative Yoga: Restorative Yoga is all about relaxation and stress relief. This practice utilizes props like blankets, blocks and bolsters to place the body in comfortable, supportive postures that help facilitate deep relaxation. Restorative Yoga is great for calming and “restoring” the body and mind.
- Yin Yoga: Yin Yoga is different from other styles of Yoga in that students hold few poses for extended periods of time. Long holds allow the body to release tension at a deep level by targeting joints, deep tissues, and organs, and it helps facilitate homeostasis in the body’s cells and energetic systems. Yin Yoga is a great compliment to other styles of yoga and helps to relieve sore muscles after strenuous activity.
- Yoga: Our Yoga classes promote stamina, strength, flexibility, balance, body awareness, and mental clarity by focusing on alignment and incorporating yogic breathing, mediation, and relaxation techniques. Each instructor brings their unique style to the class experience. All levels welcome!
Martial Arts & Self Defense Descriptions
- Aikido: Aikido is a Japanese martial art focused on self-defense techniques from a variety of attack forms including weapons. Aikido is a complete martial system, derived from Daito Ryu, an older, empty hand system of Japanese Samurai. It focusses primarily on unbalancing an attacker, and using the attackers’ weight and strength towards neutralizing aggression. Japanese short staff (Jo), sword (bokken), and knife taking, are part of the practice.
It is possible to test for rank whilst studying Aikido at George Mason, and lay the foundation for a life-long study, and improvement of self.
- Capoeira: A Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance, acrobatics and music, and is sometimes referred to as a game. It was developed in Brazil mainly by African descendants with native Brazilian influences, possibly dating back to the 16th century. It is known for its quick and complex moves, using mainly power, speed, and leverage for a wide variety of kicks, spins, and highly mobile techniques. At heart is the ginga, the back-and-forth, foot-to-foot movement that serves as the starting point for such leverage.
- Japanese Jiu Jitsu – Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is a martial art focused on the study and application of the fighting techniques, movements, and weapons of the samurai and ninja. It is a collection and refinement of 9 Ryuha (styles) of Japanese jujitsu which focus on the basic movement and techniques to control an armed or unarmed opponent. The student will develop the ability to fall and get up safely, strike, grapple, defend against weapons and use weapons
- Krav Maga: Learn reality-based self-defense using Krav Maga techniques. Krav Maga is a fighting system known for its extreme efficiency and simplicity with techniques sourced from boxing, wrestling, aikido, judo and karate. Experience a high-intensity workout that will increase your flexibility, strength, stamina, and improve your decision making skills. During class you will practice de-escalating situations, movement & stances, striking, and releasing techniques, designed to help you survive and thrive in potentially life-threatening situations. Be ready to burn calories and boost your confidence level while transforming your body into a weapon!
- Kung Fit: Join Wing Chun sifu Michael as he teaches this class that combines kung fu training with fitness-based conditioning exercises.
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Learn skills and techniques used in a variety of disciplines. Students will understand of the importance of being able to apply techniques appropriate to various situations.
- Taekwondo: A Korean martial art characterized by punching and kicking techniques, with emphasis on head-height kicks, jumping spinning kicks, and fast kicking techniques.
- Tai Chi: This low-impact class is composed of slow, rhythmic, meditative movements that will strengthen muscles and tendons, improve circulation and balance, and increase flexibility.
- Tai Chi for Self Defense: This exciting Martial Arts class will look at the principles and body mechanics used by top Tai Chi Chuan players and practitioners of other internal styles of Martial Arts. Participants will learn how to move the body in better synchronization to gain more speed and power, and how to sink an incoming force into the floor in order to bounce it back. In addition, participants will learn about the body qualities that make up “four ounces moves a thousand pounds” and “steel wrapped in cotton”. With an understanding of these principles, speed and strength play less of a roll in self-defense situations.